|Visitor Guide||Business Directory||Highway Cam||Calendar||Relocation||Langlois||Home|
Patrick Hughes House
Patrick Hughes was born in County Tyrone, Ireland in 1830. He came to America about 1850. In Boston, Massachusetts, he met and married Jane O’Neill, also from County Tyrone.
It isn't exactly clear when they came west. There are two major stories, one has them coming west by the Isthmus of Panama and another has them coming by land. From that point: some say Patrick came west first, looking for gold and Jane followed later. Some say Patrick left Jane in San Francisco while he traveled north as far as the Fraser River in Canada looking for gold. There's no doubt that he eventually they arrived in Deady, Oregon (north of Roseburg), as they are recorded in the 1860 Federal Census. Patrick's next move was to the Sixes River, where established what was to become a large ranch.
Patrick was a progressive and prosperous dairyman. He built his ranch from the original acreage to nearly 2,000 acres, employing as many as 14 ranch hands. From over 100 cows, he produced high quality butter for barter and sale locally as well as in San Francisco. He also sold and traded other ranch products, such as smoked and cured meats, milk, and fish to local markets.
A devout Catholic, Patrick built a small church "Mary, Star of the Sea" on his land in 1892. Behind it was a cemetery where several of his Irish employees and family members were buried. Patrick himself was buried there after his accidental death in 1901.
Patrick and Jane raised seven of the nine children born to them in the original ranch house near the mouth of the Sixes River. John (1860-?). Edward A.(1861-1945) was educated at St. Joseph’s Academy in Vancouver, Washington. On his return home he helped with the education of his siblings. James S. (1863-1929) married Laura McMullen of Langlois. James was a Keeper at Cape Blanco (38 years!). Alice J. (1864-1929) married Patrick Masterson, a storekeeper in Port Orford. Joseph (1865 - ?) His grave was blessed in 1873. John C. (1869-1944) was chosen by his father to become a Roman Catholic Priest. Mary A. (1871-1956) married Frank McMullen of Langlois. After raising a family of six children, they moved inland to Eugene. Thomas P. (1874-1944) never married. He operated the ranch along with Edward, who became ranch manager after his father’s death. The youngest son Francis J.(1876—1946) was 21 years old when his parents moved into the new home. He worked on the ranch with his brothers and in 1905, he brought his bride, Roseanna (Annie) Doyle (1875-1959) home to live on the ranch. Annie was the last of the Hughes family to occupy this Victorian home.
Cape Blanco Heritage Society sponsors a Christmas open house each December. Do plan your holiday to include this annual event.
Cape Blanco Heritage Society: The primary goal of the Society is to interpret and restore the interior of the Hughes House to the turn-of-the-century time period, when the Hughes family lived here. Project funds come from donations, memberships and fund-raising activities. For more information about this non-profit organization, or if you would like to make a donation, please write to:
Cape Blanco Heritage Society