Langlois Oregon Wind Surf Capital and Hog Dog Capital of Oregon
Visitor Guide Business Directory Port Orford Contact Home Page

Visitor Guide - Historic Langlois


Langlois Hotel Building

Historic Langlois Hotel  T. Hewitt, 2004

The original hotel burned and a nearly identical structure replaced it. The "new" building, constructed in 1913, served several businesses, including the E.H. Cheever Hardware store. Today, the hotel sits waiting its next incarnation.


Woodmen Hall

Woodmen Hall Copyrights 2004, T. Hewitt

Woodmen of the World, W.O.W. Camp 609 met the first Friday of each month, according to an ad in a 1925 newspaper. Raincoast Arts now calls the historic hall home.


A new use for an Old Church

Old Church

The Wild Rivers Wool Factory Outlet is housed in an old Catholic church dating back to 1917. It was built under the direction of Father Joseph P. Clancy, a young priest of 20. Fr. Clancy was assigned to Bandon and south coast mission churches. He traveled by Louis Knapp's stage line between Bandon and Gold Beach. Apparently the road south of Langlois was similar in nature to the road to Cape Blanco lighthouse: corduroy. Bumping over the logs that made up the road was not likely a pleasant experience.


Langlois Market

Langlois Market

Directly across from the Old Church/Wool Factory is Langlois Market. This is THE meeting place for the locals. Lee serves up groceries, along with deli lunches (forget Subway, you can't beat a Langlois Market deli sandwich!), and his now world famous hot dogs. Word of warning: don't hit this place at noon! Try 11:30 or after 1:30, or be prepared to wait. This photo was taken about 11:30 am, there are four cars in front, and this photo does not show the parking lot! The store, added onto here and there, is over 50 years old, and one does wonder how many look up, as they are standing in line waiting.


Langlois Confectionary

These tokens are both from Langlois Confectionery's. The one on the left is similar to the one I purchased on Ebay, the others were brought to my attention today, July 1, 2012.  J.W. White was the proprietor in the first coin, and Oliver & Hutten were proprietors in the second. Milton Oliver & his brother Alfred are listed in the 1930 census as confectioners. If you have any clues about this confectionery... use the Contact page. Thanks!

       


Langlois Cheese

Copyrights T. Hewitt, 2009 cheese newspaper

The Langlois cheese factory burned to ground April 27, 1957, it was never rebuilt.

The cheese factory was built in 1925 by Hans H. Hansen, originally producing lidcheddar cheese. In 1941, the factory was changed to a blue cheese operation. Scientists discovered how to duplicate the imported French Roquefort Cheese, opening the doors for American production. While the French cheese is made from sheep's milk and aged in caves, the Langlois version was made from Jersey cows whole milk, and aged in a temperature controlled environment. During the process, each wheel was turned one-quarter turn everyday, ageing about 6 months. The cheese was noted as a full flavored Roquefort at its best, with a rich creamy texture of English Stilton.

The plant employed about 15 people on a regular basis, doubling the crew between Halloween and Christmas the busiest time of year. There was no automation in the plant, with the exception of an automatic pre-heater, which is believed to have caused the fire.

News Clip above/right: Committee Busy (Langlois Centennial Committee) --Good news! Contact has been made with Verner Nielson, recently retired cheesemaking professor, originally from Denmark, who instructed H.H. Hansen in the process of making the famous Langlois blue cheese, back in 1940. He also shared his knowledge of cheesemaking with the Maytag Cheese Co. in Newton, Iowa. In response to a request by the Centennial committee, Lee Pestana will be selling this famous blue cheese throughout this Centennial year at Langlois Market.

NOTE: The Maytag Cheese Company still manufactures the cheese and it is still available at the Langlois Market.

Recent find in an antique shop: A foil used to pack for Harry and David.
Cheese Foil
Langois Cheese Foil
Center Graphic from 5"x9" foil.
Text Reads: Especially Packed for
Harry and David
at Bear Creek Orchards, Medford, Oregon
Cow graphic
Langlois Cheese Makers
Langlois, Oregon
Whole milk cheese--Factory No. 144
Manufactured under Pat. 2132077


Langlois Public Library

Langlois Library Coyprights 2004, T. Hewitt

Architectural interest: Shaped like a star, the design was controversial to a few, but most are pleased with the new space that allows community programs such as library hours for children and Chautauqua's arranged through the Oregon Council for the Humanities. Langlois Public Library offers online computers for travelers wishing to check email. For more information on the Langlois Library visit their website at Langlois Library Website.


Century Farms

Copyright T. Hewitt 2008

Three century farms exist in the Langlois area, the most notable is the Jensen Farm, located on Highway 101. For years the barn sat on the edge of the highway, painted red, with a lighted treble clef and the Dr. Kilmer's sign on the north side, it was a local landmark. An early fall (2007) storm did some significant damage to the historic barn, and the family deemed it unsafe and tore it down.  Probably a good thing! Later, in December a major storm blew through the area, knocking out power, blowing off roofs, twisting and toppling trees; the barn would have been a casualty had it not already been in a pile. While  the pile no doubt awaits a torch, the footprint of the building is clearly visible.  The inset photo is courtesy of Bonnie Jensen Cox. Charlie Jensen lived on the farm until his death in 2005 at age 103.  His family is famous for their music and the Jensen Friends and Family band entertains 4th of July Jubilee visitors with their annual float...make that a semi-truck with a good size band on the trailer!

Other century farms are owned by Kreutzer's and Hildebrand's (Hildebrand-Kalina).


Boice-Cope County Park

Boice-Cope County Park is a small county park on Floras Lake (photo top). Floras Lake is a very popular with wind-surfers. Camping is available. To find the lake, travel south of Langlois on 101 to Floras Lake Loop Road and turn west, from there the next turns are well marked.


Most Often asked Questions

How do you pronounce Langlois? -- According to the old-timers... it's Langless. This pronunciation is verified in early census records, where census enumerators spelled the name phonetically as they heard it.

Was the town named after the lighthouse keeper James Langlois? -- No. When it came time to bring a post office to the area of Dairyville, the petition for Dairyville was rejected to avoid confusion with Dayville. (Dayville is located in eastern Oregon near John Day) A.J. Thrift and Frank Langlois (brother of James) decided to call the town Langlois. The Langlois family arrived in Oregon's Willamette Valley with the earliest pioneers. By 1854, the family migrated to Curry County. William and Mary's son Thomas Orford, is believed to be the first pioneer child born in the area.  William, the patriarch of the family was born in England.

Post Office: April 14, 1881, multiple locations.


Visitor Guide Business Directory Port Orford Contact Home Page

Copyrights 2003 - 2011 /  www.LangloisOregon.com - All Rights Reserved